Monday, May 11, 2009

Writing book reviews

I've never been one who could make it through an entire New Yorker book review. I just want the meat and potatoes. Simply put, is the book worth buying?

So when I wrote the reviews for the upcoming anniversary issue (issue 7), I made the reviews as simple as I could. A little bit of detail about the author, and a bunch about the book, and whether or not you should buy it.

I am sure the reviews will be too short for a lot of people, but I think it would be just right for a whole lot more.

...db

1 comment:

  1. It's strange. I love reading reviews of books I know I'd never buy and reviews of books I've read and have a strong opinion about. I hate reading reviews of books I think I might pick up, because I hate spoiling my first hand experience.

    Same for any media, really. I guess I really don't use the review/criticism system to make decisions - I use stuff like metacritic or simple short word of mouth recommendations to help me in acquiring new things to read/watch.

    ReplyDelete