Sunday, November 1, 2009

News and Changes

*The News*
Fraction has sometimes been kind of a group effort but it was always a partnership, between myself (david) and Josh Spees. Well, Josh has had a lot of changes this year. He married a wonderful woman who is also a great photographer and then they packed up and moved away from New Mexico to his wife's hometown in Virginia.

Josh was the designer of the Fraction website as well as an editor, like me. He was the behind the scenes guy while I was out doing portfolio reviews and selling Fraction. I think the long hours putting together each issue, all while not getting paid for this, took its toll.

So as stated by Josh on October 7, he has decided to step away from Fraction and work on his photography and art. He is sorely missed.

*The Changes*
Since Fraction is now entirely in my hands, I've decided to make a few changes.

First, I have hired a graphic designer to redesign the Fraction logo and the website. Josh was the flash master/ webmaster and I know nothing about flash. The new site will not be in flash. It will be a simple and clean layout, just as it has now, but it will be in html, so it will be able to be viewed on every device, most importantly, iPhones.

Second, I am planning on going to a monthly format, but without the bi-monthly group show. I am still working out the details but I think this will work a bit better for me. Fraction will still showcase five photographers and each monthly issue will be loosely based on a theme. We will still have guest curators, but it will be less frequent.

Third, Fraction will be actively seeking advertising funds. As we have now, there will be an "advertising page" called the Friends of Fraction. All the advertising will be located on this page as I do not want banner ads or anything else located on the portfolio pages because I do not want anything to take your eye away from the photographers' work. Also, I will be actively seeking sponsors for our monthly email blast. Our list is now over 5000 subscribers and this is a good chance to get your name and website/service/art work out for a very reasonable price. If you are interested in advertising on Fraction and/or the email blast, contact me.

In the meantime, Fraction will be on a sort of break until the new site launches. I want to make sure this is done right. The Fraction blog will still be updated as often as needed but the website won't be. So when will the new site design launch?

01.11.10

Stay tuned and thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment