Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thoughts on the Critical Mass 52

Today, the 52 finalists have been announced in the Critical Mass competition. You can see the list, the rules, and the voting techniques here.

I looked at 180 portfolios which had 10 photographs in each. Of these 180 portfolios, I gave 14 of them a WOW score, the highest score possible and 38 of them a YES+ score, which is the second highest score possible. Out of the ones that I gave a WOW and a YES+, a total of fifty two, 19 were included in the Top 52. Not bad.

I must admit that there were quite a few surprises and a few disappointments.

I was very surprised not to see the following in the top 52:
Hollis Bennett
Ian van Coller
Elizabeth Fleming
Natalie Young
Susana Raab

All of the above showed very strong work, and if I were to single out one person, it would be Hollis Bennett whose work was quite amazing and I think a bit under the radar and seriously under priced (buy it now).

I plan on contacting all 14 photographers whom I gave a WOW vote to, so that I can showcase them here on Fraction. I also plan on writing about the lack of personal vision/style. There was a lot of work that looked alike and I'm not the only one who thinks so. But that is for later.

For now, congrats to the 52 finalists.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to the further posts on this. Thanks for the links I will visit all of their websites!

    ReplyDelete